Monday, March 7, 2011

φιλία (Love)

How many people do you know? And I mean really know, like I know more than I would like to actually know about one person other than myself. I have many friends that I consider very close to me. But sitting in Emily's apartment I found out that sometimes the people we talk to on a daily basis are the people we forget to actually get to know on a deeper level. I have two people in this world that I know as well as myself, Brett and Craig. That's probably more than some of you out there when you really get down to it. There are times when I feel like I let people down because I don't always ask the questions that really matter. Any one can ask, "Hey! How was your day!" That isn't very personal and I feel like my duty as a friend is to ask better questions and actually get to know my friends, find out their struggles and their hopes.

I changed the title of my blog, again because I wanted something different. I stuck with the Greek alphabet for this one and went with the word φιλία. φιλία in Modern Greek is one of the many translations for the world love, this one meaning: friendship, virtuous love, a concept developed by Aristotle. It includes loyalty to friends, family, and community, and requires virtue, equality and familiarity. In ancient texts, philos denoted a general type of love, used for love between family, between friends, a desire or enjoyment of an activity, as well as between lovers.

Most of my entries on here deal with my friends and the love I have for them or the enjoyment I get when I spend time with them. It is only fitting that my blog title reflects that. To those of you whom I talk to more often, I hope you don't mind if I start asking those questions because I really just want to get to know you better and have a better friendship, be closer. If you do mind, let me know, it won't hurt my feelings at all. I promise.

With Love, Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment