Monday, July 11, 2011

It's the Wonder of Nature

Tomorrow morning I leave for one of my favorite places that I have had the pleasure of visiting. Grand Lake, Colorado has played a huge part of my summertime memories as far back as I can remember. My father's side of the family, the Lane side, has a tradition of going almost every year at the end of July and renting cabins in the small tourist town. My grandparents used to manage the Lonesome Dove Cabins in town and so we started to vacation there as a family.

It is a very scenic spot, even though all of the trees are dying because of the beetle epidemic. The family memories of hiking up to Adam's Falls and the Big Meadow, driving Pontoon boats on the lake, fishing in the same spot and my father and grandfather did, spending hours on the bumper boats as a kid with all my cousins will always bring a smile to my face. That's why I have many framed pictures from different spots around the Lake and Mount Baldy. It's my happy place.

The last few years have given me chances to drive out by myself because of different things that have come up like Derek's wedding last year. It is a long drive, especially from Kansas City or with back problems but it gives me the best chance to just enjoy nature and enjoy thinking about my life. You get completely different views from the Flint Hills to the flat wheat fields, to the barren land of eastern Colorado and finally the gorgeous snow-capped mountains over Idaho Springs. It's quite a moving experience. Especially if you get the right mix of music playing in the background. One year I had John Williams and Explosions In The Sky going and last year I had a mix of Coldplay and Abandon Kansas. This year I am riding with my family but I can't wait for the moment we stop in Idaho Springs to get our jackets out of the trunk so we can roll down the windows and open the sun roof. The beauty of nature will then proceed to take my breath away.


I am going to start learning our next setlist for SuperSonic in October. This is the first one I will give a good listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment