Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Playoffs?

I had a couple ideas to write about that I had thought about whilst at work. Of course I didn't write them down and cannot remember them. Tonight the Tigers lost to Topeka-Hayden in the first round of the playoffs. That marks the end of the 2009 season and the first season since 1999 that my dad didn't coach. His last season ended agaisnt Hayden last year in a beat down. We all knew what was coming that night, even before we arrived in Topeka. Toward the end of the game I remember spotting my mother sitting by herself. My dad, coach Wallace and coach Hays all knew that this game was their last. No one wanted to admit it though. It was very emotional watching the last seconds tick off the clock. I shed a few tears as did the others. My Dad wouldn't hug me after the game and I knew why. We shared a look and that's all it took. Hugging would have brought us both to tears. My father is downstairs right now, watching television because he couldn't sleep. I think I know why. I love you dad. You'll always be a coach in my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Mine, too. I thought it would be easier last night, but I was wrong. It's still, well, it's still very close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete