Thursday, November 3, 2011

Major Work

There is something that really bothers me that happens from time to time. I am not exactly sure what made me think of it just now but I thought I would share it anyway. Recently I was talking to a fellow college student about homework. That person was sharing what classes they had homework in and, not being from that specific major, it sounded very difficult to me. After I shared what my homework was, writing a Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol Lesson Plan (SIOP). It is basically taking a typical lesson plan and adapting it to fit with ELL kids (students who don't speak English either at all or proficiently). While that sounds pretty easy to most, it's challenging to create a lesson plan and then create a whole new one for students who can't understand your first one. Sometimes you have to do it for multiple languages. I have a concentration in ESL so that is part of my weekly homework. It may not be Economics, but it takes some time and creativity.

Now, after sharing my homework list with the student I mentioned earlier, they basically told me that I shouldn't ever complain about homework because the could probably do mine in half the time that it takes them for theirs. Now, I'm not an accounting, engineering, pre-med, or pharmacy major so yes, if it happened to be in a subject that I am not familiar with, it would take me a long time. But this is much harder and more time consuming than most people realize. For some one to just put down my major like that really frustrated me. It's the same thing teachers get when people mention having summers off. Yes, I get two months free of students but if you are a good teacher you will not have nearly that amount of time away from school. My parents usually spend time each week in the summer at school. And guess what, that time off makes up for working from 7-5 at school and then 5-9 at home. Yeah, that would probably equal more hours that most people work in a week. And we're working with your bratty kids all day trying to make them engaged children. You're welcome.

So the next time you talk to an education major maybe you should try taking a Linguistics class or taking a Practicum test because I will tell you this: You probably won't do as well as you think you could. I don't judge people taking art or music because I know that I would fail those majors in a heartbeat so please don't judge mine. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment