Thursday, May 26, 2011

Timshel, Part Two

I wrote a previous entry about the song "Timshel" by Mumford and Sons awhile ago and it was a post that I loved writing. The song is just one that moves me and it is filled with amazing harmonies. It is simple, perfectly simple. Marcus Mumford wrote the song after being inspired by the book East of Eden by Steinbeck. To me, the song boils down to these words, and they are inspiring ones:

And you have your choices
And these are what make man great
His ladder to the stars

But you are not alone in this
And you are not alone in this
As brothers we will stand and we'll hold your hand
Hold your hand

You can take this for what it's worth because I have read hundreds of responses to what this song means to people and, while everyone has different views, I love that it inspires people all the same. This song reminds me that we all have choices to make in this lifetime that will define us, that will lead us down a certain path. Not all of my choices have been the smart ones and looking back I wish I had chosen the path most followed. All I can do is make the choices that will make me great, not anyone else. But, no matter the choice I make, the path that I follow, I will always have someone there for me. I will always have a friend, a parent, a family member who will be there to help me along the way. All I can do is hope to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment