Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Quack Quack

Tonight I rooted hard for one of my favorite teams to win the BCS Championship: The Oregon Ducks. I have been a fan of theirs since I was in middle school because I was drawn by their uniforms and stadium and they were a team no one really cheered for and even disliked because they were changing the culture of college uniforms. They came up short tonight, losing to Auburn 22-19. Neither team did much to distance themselves and Auburn made literally one more play than Oregon to win. I am one who believes that Cameron Newton, while a physical beast, is and should be considered tainted goods.
It's more of a gut feeling than anything, but I just have a feeling that there's so much more to the story about his father asking for cash for his son's services. It's sketchy and I just hate the thought that in the future their team could have to give back a trophy that all but one person deserved. I think that the NCAA treated his circumstance differently because his team was undefeated and were the favorites to get into the BCS Championship game. They treated him with favoritism just as it treated the Ohio State players favorably. There's nothing anyone can do about it but complain, and that gets you no where.
However, after playing some Call of Duty tonight with the guys and bitching about how terrible the game ended up since we were all rooting for the Ducks, I turned on the television to see Oregon RB LeMichael James being interviewed after the game. His words struck me and made me think that I have another reason to root for the men from Eugene. James was talking about how it felt to lose and said "One game doesn't define you as a person or as a football player. Football is a game and there will be many more games that we will win after this one, it won't define us. I think this will be a great lesson for us. It hurts to lose and this one will hurt for awhile."
It is a great view of life from a team that deserves all the credit in the world for playing an almost perfect season. It is an extension of a coach who has seen great success and a few struggles in his two years as head coach. He is a man who leads young men and is a great mentor for life. Those Oregon players should, and probably do admire their coach Chip Kelly. It was a great game and although I would have enjoyed a different outcome, I applaud Auburn for making that one extra play when they needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment