Sunday, December 9, 2012

One Day At A Time


Thursday night I went out with two friends from school, one riding the joy of seeing a long distance boyfriend soon, one friend who was struggling at the end of a long week. I was smack dab in the middle of them, getting ready to see Dane and Christy the next day, and still struggling with the break up with Emily. But these two really allowed me to talk about whatever it was I had on my mind. It was just a great time and a wonderful way to celebrate the end of the semester.

That night brings me to the reason that I wanted to blog tonight. I have watched The Avett Brothers and Randy Travis on CMT Crossroads about fifty times since it came out over Thanksgiving break. I usually end up watching the songs that have been written by Randy Travis because I just love the original songs by The Avett Brothers so much. However, the interviews of the four main performers (Scott, Seth and Bob from the Avett's and Randy Travis) give me the most highlights. My favorite interview involves the four men talking about love and the relationships in their lives. Scott Avett said something that will stick with me for awhile when talking about his marriage.  He said, "A lot of people will give me weird looks when I say this, but I view my marriage as like each day of sobriety. A great friend of mine said, 'I can't tell you if I'm going to be sober for the rest of my life, I can't promise that.' We try to promise further than that, and we sure are committed to each other.... I try and keep it one day at at time."

They also discussed about songs that talk about the good and the bad up against each other. I can relate to that feeling because life always contains the good and the bad days, sometimes mixed in together. Even in the darkest of times, there will always be something positive in your life, you just have to look for it. Every rough story will have a fulfilling adventure.  I have always been the type of person who can look on the positive side of life, even in my darkest of times. That hasn't always been a good thing because it really shields you from seeing that things need immediate change at times. But life should always be viewed through a positive lens; too many days can be viewed in a negative light. As my friend Anna told me, I will tell everyone I know as well: If you ever need a positive voice in your life, give me a call. I am a good listener.

With Love,

Ian



No comments:

Post a Comment