Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Friends

Brett, Brock, Craig and Dane. Those four men are the closest friends I have and if I am being honest, they are the best friends any person could ask for. As I wrote in my last post, I am reading A Million Miles In A Thousand Years by Donald Miller. There is a chapter in the story about a group of men who were held captive for a year while being tortured. The men were described as the closest of friends because of the simple things they did while around each other. They didn't cut each other off, talk over one another and they didn't need to fill the air with unneeded words. They simply enjoyed the company of one another. I've never really thought about why certain friends are closer than others, why I will always reach out to those four men above everyone else, but I just know that is my first instinct; it is second nature.

However, if I really think about why we are all friends, it is because we have all been through some deep stuff in our time knowing each other, some, like myself, more than others. Each friend offers a different view of the world, and their advice and opinions reflect that. I know Brett will always be a smart ass when I first bring something up, his way of making the situation less heavy I suppose. Dane will start off by apologizing (or praising) to me for what happened. Brock will ask for details before offering advice and Craig will probably just not answer the phone. He takes on a combination of the other three though. It is funny how well I can know these four men, even though our time spent as friends varies a great deal.

I thank God every night for my friends and all that they have helped me through. It is amazing what someone can go through when he has people by his side like Brett, Craig, Brock and Dane. I look back at old pictures, mostly of Brett, Craig, and I, and I laugh at who we were back then. Eight years ago we were punk kids who wanted the world. Now we are at various stages of our lives and take what we can get. That is not a bad thing, but the inevitable change all people go through. We went through the fires often in those days and I can remember the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Those days still show up and when they do, I know who I can call.

No comments:

Post a Comment