Saturday, September 25, 2010

Whirlwind

Today is saturday. I'm sure you are all aware of this. I know I am. I am so very aware of this because, per my usual routine, I should be asleep right now; not up, wide awake and done with breakfast. It is my weekend to bring Eli to Manhattan for his Excel classes on the K-State campus. It usually makes for a long day. However, this morning I am sitting in Panera, enjoying their Wi-Fi and enjoying myself.

It's a dreary grey morning full of clouds and sprinkles. I was finding it hard to stay alert and in a good mood. It's a bed day is what this day is. I needed something to pick me up and keep my mind occupied, something worthwhile. I tried reading Sex God by Rob Bell but it just wasn't hitting the spot today. So instead I decided to watch the some of the videos in the Nooma series. My favorite is Whirlwind, which we watched in one of my very first 24 Feet whorships. This is the idea behind the Whirwind video:

A lot of us have gone through times in our lives that are difficult. Some have been small and hard to understand and some have been big and overwhelming. During these times we want answers don't we? We want to know why. Why do we have to suffer? Why do bad things happen to good people? We just want someone to make sense of it all. But we don't always get the answers, do we? Sometimes we are left wondering. And those can be some of the most difficult times. maybe there are times we need to be released from having to have all the answers. And maybe it's when we're released that we are able to see there may be more going on here than we realize.

It's a great video. It's so plain and simple yet I find myself unable to take my eyes off of Rob as he walks and speaks. It's powerful. If you haven't seen Everything Is Spiritual by Rob Bell I highly suggest you go watch it. Brock has it and I'm sure he would love to watch it with you. I find myself forgetting sometimes that we don't always need the answers in life. Sometimes we just need to have faith that we aren't in control and can't be in control. Give in to that feeling.

1 comment: