Friday, September 10, 2010

From the Mouth of John Mayer

"It's been a long night in New York City, it's been a long time since 22."
-John Mayer

The last two weeks of my life have been pretty wonderful. It has been filled with times spent with great friends and on the road a lot. The highlight was definitely seeing John Mayer in concert. It was just a fabulous experience seeing him in person. I love his music and have heard how his shows are much better than any other and I must say, I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't far and away the best show I've seen but as far as the musicianship in concerned, he blew everyone else away. He could use a better stage and lights designer. Maybe he could use the same one as Coldplay.

One of the reasons John Mayer is so good is because he seems so gracious on stage. He may be an asshole, I've never met him, but on stage he seems genuine and thankful for his fans. He also rambles quite a bit about love and life and finding happiness. It really allows the crowd to see what he is like and hear what's on his mind, which isn't something a lot of artists will do in front of thousands of people. It really makes you engage as his audience I think.

Edge of Desire is my favorite JM song, at least since it came out. I was lucky enough to hear it as the encore of his set which thrilled me to no end. As he picked the intro to the song a few times over he talked about Love. He had rambled a little about Love earlier in the set and so I wasn't sure where it was going. It was the friday of Labor Day weekend so everyone was lucky enough to have a 3-day weekend ahead of them, so John decided that this would be a good idea: He implored the audience to call or text someone. We've all Loved someone, been Loved, wanted to Love or are in Love with someone. He told the audience to let someone know that you were thinking about them and that you wanted to go away for the weekend, that for just 72 hours you should spend your time together.

I wish this were possible. I wish life were this easy. I wish people could just send a text that says hey, I like you, let's go somewhere and hang out, get to know each other. I wish that's the way Love worked. It rarely does though. Love is something that is unique and complicated. Love isn't easy. Finding Love isn't easy. Keeping Love is even harder.

1 comment: